“Your ignorance is your best weapon” – Bozoma Saint John
“So what’s your plan?”
Those four words are like daggers in my ears. Mostly because I have no answer for that question.
I’ve been on serious job hunt lately. I took a little break to get my wisdom teeth out but now I’m back on the grind 😦
As a recent college grad, who worked at my University’s Career Center and had a portfolio class, I assumed I’d at least have a few interviews by now (That’s what I get for assuming.) I know the normal time frame is 6 months nowadays but this unemployment limbo is driving me crazy. I’ve been applying to social media jobs, public relations jobs, and administrative jobs, in Springfield, Boston and NYC and no luck. I figure my problem is that I have no real idea what I want to do. The only real way to figure that out is to ask.
Besides an actual internship, an Informational Interview is the best way to figure out if you like a field or a company. I’ve never done one because I’m a visual learner so, I just never knew what to ask. So I determined it was about time I figured it out. Here are a few questions a stumbled across that I think would be helpful.
Have you held an informational interview? What questions did you ask?
- Where do you see this industry (or profession) going in the next few years?
- Could you describe your average workday and your key job responsibilities?
- What are the best and worst things about working in this field?
- What are the different salary ranges?
- What is the competition like?
- How long does it take for managers to rise to the top?
- What are opportunities for advancement?
- How would you suggest a person begin if they were particularly skilled at social media?
- What are the main or most important personal characteristics for success in the field?
- What specialized training or education is required to succeed in this field now?
- Which skills have you found most helpful, and which ones will be most important in the future?
- What other skills do managers look for that are not written in the typical job descriptions?
- What’s your first thought when you get up for work every morning?
- What has been your career path from college to present?
- What would you change if you could?
- What do you know now that you wish you knew when you were entering this field, but didn’t?
- If you were just getting involved now, where would you put yourself?
- What do you read — in print and online — to keep up with developments in your field?
- What’s unique or differentiating about your company?
- Who has been most influential in your career?
- Can you suggest others who may be valuable sources of information?
PERSONAL – Interviewer
- What do you think of the experience I’ve had so far? For what types of positions would it qualify me?
- What companies or industries do you think I should target?
- Based on what you know about me, do you think that I’m being realistic in my hopes and job hunt?
As glad as I am to have some warm weather and be on an official countdown to my birthday, summer IS hard. Mostly because I’m a TV-aholic and all my shows have wrapped. Lucky, the USA Network has saved me; Graceland is everything I could have asked for and more.
Daniel Sunjata. HOT. Aaron Tveit. Such a cutie. Then there’s Brandon McLaren from The Best Years and She’s the Man who I pretty much have a crush on. Minus the eye candy, the plot line itself definitely has me hooked. FBI, DEA and Customs agents are all living their lives in an amazing beach house in Cali. Surf, sun and gun fights? Yes please! And did I mention this was based off true events? #EvenBetter
The newbie Mike shows up fresh out of FBI graduation and kicks ass. He did a reverse drug bust, went undercover, saved lives and did dishes, all on his first day! The pilot ended with a call from the director of the FBI telling Mike he’s actually been sent to Graceland to investigate Briggs. Briggs is not only his roommate, training agent and idol, but he just inadvertently saved his life.
It’s a mess already and I love it. Crime shows are my fav so I pumped to see where this one ends up. Especially with a tag line like
“Your lies are your life.”
Catch Graceland Thursdays, at 10pm on USA.
What summer shows are you watching?
P.S I’m also watching Mistresses on ABC, Pretty Little Liars (my guilty pleasure) on ABC Family and TrueBlood on HBO is back! #Finally